Curried Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 butternut squash (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- CILANTO CREAM TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a greased or foil-lined baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the flour, salt, curry powder and cayenne until blended. Stir in broth. Add bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Cool to room temperature.
- 3. In a blender, combine half of the broth mixture and squash; cover and process until smooth. Repeat with remaining broth mixture and squash. Return to the saucepan; heat through. Combine the topping ingredients; place a dollop on each serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 194 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 1188mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Curried Squash Soup
"This soup is very, very good. The recipe is a keeper that I keep going back to. Definitely a comfort food on a cool day."
"This is a yummy soup, low calorie, only 4 weight-watcher points in one cup, and not complicated to make."