Curried Squash Soup Recipe
- 1 butternut squash (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- CILANTO CREAM TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a greased or foil-lined baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the flour, salt, curry powder and cayenne until blended. Stir in broth. Add bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Cool to room temperature.
- 3. In a blender, combine half of the broth mixture and squash; cover and process until smooth. Repeat with remaining broth mixture and squash. Return to the saucepan; heat through. Combine the topping ingredients; place a dollop on each serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 194 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 1188mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein .
Reviews for Curried Squash Soup
"This soup is very, very good. The recipe is a keeper that I keep going back to. Definitely a comfort food on a cool day."
"This is a yummy soup, low calorie, only 4 weight-watcher points in one cup, and not complicated to make."