Cayenne pepper gives a little kick to bowls of this pretty golden soup, a first course that everyone seems to love. It can be made several days ahead to fit a busy schedule, then heated up whenever needed.
Recommended: 40 Recipes for Vegetable Soup
- 1 butternut squash (about 1-3/4 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- CILANTO CREAM TOPPING:
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash cut side down in a greased or foil-lined baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 40-50 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out pulp; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the flour, salt, curry powder and cayenne until blended. Stir in broth. Add bay leaf. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Cool to room temperature.
- In a blender, combine half of the broth mixture and squash; cover and process until smooth. Repeat with remaining broth mixture and squash. Return to the saucepan; heat through. Combine the topping ingredients; place a dollop on each serving. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Curried Squash Soup in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2003, p39
Reviews for Curried Squash Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review