- 1 pound mild bulk Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 large acorn squash or 6 cups butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cubed (1/2-in.)
- 1 large unpeeled apple, cubed (1/2-in.)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cooked small pasta shells
- 1/4 cup water
- In a stockpot, cook and crumble sausage over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-6 minutes; remove.
- In same pan, heat oil; cook and stir onion and pepper 3 minutes. Add squash; cook 5 minutes. Stir in apple, curry powder and salt until vegetables are crisp-tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Return sausage to pan; add pasta and water. Heat through. Yield: 8 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Curried Squash & Sausage
"This recipe made for a quick, nutritious and inexpensive Wednesday night supper. The curry wasn't overpowering ... as a matter of fact, all the flavours blended nicely together with no one ingredient overpowering the next. We are used to having this type of recipe swimming in a sauce so it took a few spoonsful to get used to the absence of liquid but by the time we cleaned our first bowl, we were ready for seconds and were grateful for leftovers."
"Great winter dish! I was skeptical but then I made it and I will totally make it again. It has great flavor and texture."