Curried Rice Ham Rolls Recipe
My mother gave me this recipe, which had been handed down to her. She prepared these hearty, flavorful ham rolls often for her church luncheons, and they were a huge success every time. I find that even people who have never tried curry rave about the flavor. -Pamela Witte, Hastings, Nebraska
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups cooked brown or long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 12 slices deli ham (1/8 inch thick)
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- CURRY SAUCE:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1. In a skillet, saute onion in butter until tender, about 3 minutes. In a large bowl, combine rice, parsley, salt, curry powder and onion.
- 2. Spoon about 1/3 cup down the center of each ham slice; roll up. Secure with toothpicks if desired. Place seam side down in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Arrange hard-cooked eggs on top.
- 3. For sauce, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir cornstarch, curry powder and salt until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 4. Pour over the ham rolls. Cover and bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10 minutes. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 405 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 202 mg cholesterol, 1,092 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 18 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC