Curried Quinoa and Chickpeas Recipe
Quinoa contains more protein than other grains, and that protein is of unusually high quality for a plant food. That makes this a great filling main dish and the blend of flavors and colors will bring everyone at the table back for more. —Suzanne Banfield, Basking Ridge, New Jersey
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and orange juice to a boil. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, red pepper, quinoa, onion, raisins and curry. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 2. Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 355 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 155 mg sodium, 70 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 12 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC