Curried Quinoa and Chickpeas Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, bring water and orange juice to a boil. Stir in chickpeas, tomatoes, red pepper, quinoa, onion, raisins and curry. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat; fluff with a fork. Sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Curried Quinoa and Chickpeas(10)
Sort By :
I liked this well enough, but I wouldn't make it again, because my son hated it. He ate it cause I bribed him with DQ, but he hates raisins and without them this would be really boring. If I made this again for myself only, I'd use less water, more OJ & more curry.
Loved this receipe ! My kids ages 4 and 7 gobbled it up. I added 1/2 cup of water than what it called for as we'll as fresh diced carrots. I also added a dash of turmeric and cumin for more spice and omitted the raisins.
Wonderful main dish. I added a few cut up yams which I partially microwaved, and used a can of diced tomatoes.
Delicious. I was hesitant about the raisins since I don't care for raisins in things like oatmeal etc, but they really complimented the dish. Even my husband who is a meat and potatoes man enjoyed this. Good hot or cold
I am dabbling with vegan cooking at least 3 nights per week because meat has become nearly unaffordable for me, a single mom, but I'm finding a lot of great recipes out there and they are growing on me. My 12-yr old son and boyfriend both loved this recipe as did I. I did my dried chickpeas from scratch in a pressure cooker and they were ready to go in about 1 hr 45 mins. I am going to try this with pineapple juice instead of orange for more of a thai flavor. I used golden raisins. Love the curry! I actually added more. This made enough for 2 family meals plus 2 lunches for me to take to work- where I made coworkers salivate with the delightful fragrance of this dish heating in the microwave. This dish will also freeze well, and it's very economical. About $5 for the entire recipe.
More Recipe Collections
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Tomato Recipes >