Curried Pumpkin Soup
This comforting soup is wonderfully warming on an autumn day, and the subtle curry flavor lets the pumpkin star. My family really enjoy dishes like this that have a delightful down-home flavor.Eleanor Dunbar, Peoria, Illinois
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in oil until tender. Add
- the broth, pumpkin, lemon juice, curry powder, sugar, salt if
- desired and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cream; heat
- through. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium broth and evaporated skim milk and without salt) equals 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat; also, 67 calories, 60 mg sodium, 3 mg cholesterol, 11 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 2 gm fat.