Curried Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a saucepan over medium heat, saute onion in oil until tender. Add the broth, pumpkin, lemon juice, curry powder, sugar, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil.
- 2. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in cream; heat through. Garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One 1-cup serving (prepared with low-sodium broth and evaporated skim milk and without salt) equals 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat; also, 67 calories, 60 mg sodium, 3 mg cholesterol, 11 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 2 gm fat.