Curried Pork and Green Tomatoes
When the tomatoes are green in the garden, my husband and sons are thrilled to know this dish will appear on several weekly menus. I've passed the recipe on more times than I can count.
3-4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large fresh green tomatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch ground cardamom, optional
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked pork
- Hot cooked rice
- In a medium skillet, saute onion in butter. Add tomatoes; cover and
- simmer for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Combine flour, curry,
- salt, pepper, sugar and cardamom if desired; slowly stir into
- tomatoes. Add broth and pork; simmer, uncovered, for 3-5 minutes or
- until sauce thickens. Serve over rice. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 275 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 79 mg cholesterol, 879 mg sodium,