Curried Pineapple Rice Recipe
- 1 fresh pineapple or 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1. Cut fresh pineapple to form a serving bowl if desired (see p. 58). Cut removed fruit into bite-size chunks; set aside. If using canned pineapple, drain and set aside (discard juice or save for another use).
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in rice, garlic and curry powder. Add broth, soy sauce and jalapeno if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 3. Stir in green onions and pineapple chunks. Spoon into pineapple shell. Replenish as needed or place remaining rice in another serving bowl. Yield: 12-14 servings.
One 3/4-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium broth and reduced-sodium soy sauce) equals 178 calories, 3 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 96 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat.