Curried Pineapple Rice Recipe
- 1 fresh pineapple or 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Cut fresh pineapple to form a serving bowl if desired (see p. 58). Cut removed fruit into bite-size chunks; set aside. If using canned pineapple, drain and set aside (discard juice or save for another use).
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in rice, garlic and curry powder. Add broth, soy sauce and jalapeno if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in green onions and pineapple chunks. Spoon into pineapple shell. Replenish as needed or place remaining rice in another serving bowl. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Curried Pineapple Rice(4)
Sort By :
A good recipe to have on hand. I would and have made it more than once. I also used green pepper instead of OR in addition to Jalapeno. I also use lite soy sauce. Oftern I add left over chicken, or pork. Carrot slices and snow peas also work very well. Pluse adding veggies is a great way to up the fiber and lower the carbs a little depending on what veggies you addand how much. Try stirring some green onion in, including the gree parts. It adds color and looks nice. I add the green onion in during the last 5 min of cookingA great take to work recipe for those who pack lunch. Freezez well too.
Made a meal of this. Served 4-5.
Halved this recipe, but kept all the pineapple. Left out the jalapeno and green onions. Added 1/2 orange bell pepper (chopped), 1/4 pound frozen salad shrimp, and home-grown garlic chives.
Added the bell pepper and shrimp after the rice was done and cooked until the shrimp were thawed. Sprinkled the chives on top when serving.
Even the 16 month-old liked it!
We loved it! The Four Z's
very good. I subed half of the chicken both for no sugar added pineapple juice. I also used green peppers instead of jalapeno I like the taste of lite soy better than regular too. You can easily add chunks of Cooked chicken to this to serve as a main dish. I have aso made this with some water chestnuts and / or almonds It is a great recipe to have on hand, because it is so versitle
More Recipe Collections
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Side Dishes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Low Sodium Side Dishes >
- Mexican Recipes >
- Mexican Side Dishes >
- Mexican Vegetarian Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Rice Side Dish Recipes >
- Rice Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Simple Side Dishes >