Rice, curry, garlic and pineapple blend together to create this distinctive side dish. "It's so pretty serve in a pineapple shell," says Cecelia Bodden of Burnaby, British Columbia. "And it tastes as good as it looks."
- 1 fresh pineapple or 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Cut fresh pineapple to form a serving bowl if desired (see p. 58). Cut removed fruit into bite-size chunks; set aside. If using canned pineapple, drain and set aside (discard juice or save for another use).
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in rice, garlic and curry powder. Add broth, soy sauce and jalapeno if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in green onions and pineapple chunks. Spoon into pineapple shell. Replenish as needed or place remaining rice in another serving bowl. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Curried Pineapple Rice in Quick Cooking July/August 1999, p57
Reviews for Curried Pineapple Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review