Curried Parsnip Soup
“My mum used to make this recipe at home in England, where parsnips are more widely used than here. It’s very aromatic and has a nice bite from the curry and pepper.”
Julie Mathieson – Bristol, Tennessee
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and carrot in butter until onion is
- tender. Add parsnips; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in broth and
- seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15
- minutes or until parsnips are tender.
- Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth.
- Return all to the pan; stir in milk and heat through. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 113 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 513 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.