- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms, diced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- Mango chutney, optional
- Cream butter and cream cheese until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour. Divide dough in half; flatten each into a disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add onions; saute until tender. Add mushrooms; saute until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat.
- Combine flour, curry, salt and pepper; stir into skillet. Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. round biscuit cutter. Place circles 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Place 1 tablespoon filling on one side of each circle. Brush edges of pastry with water; fold circles in half. With a fork, press edges to seal; prick tops with a fork. Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Serve warm with chutney if desired. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Curried Mushroom Empanadas in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2017, p16
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Curried Mushroom Empanadas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review