Curried Leek Soup
New England is known for its hearty soups. I like to experiment with recipes (luckily I have a wife who lets me mess up her kitchen). I came up with this recipe the first year I grew leeks in my garden.
4 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute leeks in butter over medium heat until
- tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water,
- carrots, celery, bouillon, curry powder and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables
- are tender. Cool slightly.
- Place 1 cup soup in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return
- to pan. Add milk; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 200 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 1,057 mg sodium,