New England is known for its hearty soups. I like to experiment with recipes (luckily I have a wife who lets me mess up her kitchen). I came up with this recipe the first year I grew leeks in my garden.
Featured In: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (12 ounces) fat-free evaporated milk
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, saute leeks in butter over medium heat until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water, carrots, celery, bouillon, curry powder and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool slightly.
- Place 1 cup soup in a blender; cover and process until smooth. Return to pan. Add milk; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Curried Leek Soup in Country October/November 2000, p51
Reviews for Curried Leek Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 9, 2015
"Delicious! One of my family's favorites! I also add a little more curry for more kick, and sometimes I blend all of the soup instead of just one cup."