Curried Lamb Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean lamb stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground coriander, cumin and cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles or rice, optional
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil in batches on all sides; remove from pan and keep warm. Cook onion and garlic in drippings until onion is tender. Add the curry, salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the water, pineapple juice, apple and tomato sauce.
- Return meat to Dutch oven. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream. Serve with noodles or rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Curried Lamb Stew
Sort By :
Exceptional! Substituted tomato paste for the tomato sauce (w/added water). Very, very good. Will make this again! Husband loved it! It's spicy....but not too hot.
My family doesn't care for lamb, so I tried this with beef, and increased the curry powder and cayenne a little. Very good, and a nice change from the usual stew.
This was very tasty. Maybe a little too creamy personally, but very similar to what you get at any good Indian restaurant. I only left out the coriander as I didn't have it on hand so I added a little more cumin, since I like the taste. But very good recipe.
i love love LOVE this stew! I make it every year for Halloween. I always double the spice mixture tho. I love spice so thats just my progitave. its a must make!
Excellent. Spicy and creamy. I added green pepper and celery as I had less than the required amount of lamb.
More Recipe Collections
- Apple Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Stew Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Dinner Recipes >
- Greek Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Stew Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Lamb >
- Lamb Recipes >
- Lamb Stew >