Curried Lamb Stew Recipe
- 2 pounds lean lamb stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon each ground coriander, cumin and cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 medium tart apple, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Hot cooked noodles or rice, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil in batches on all sides; remove from pan and keep warm. Cook onion and garlic in drippings until onion is tender. Add the curry, salt, pepper, coriander, cumin, cinnamon and cayenne; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the water, pineapple juice, apple and tomato sauce.
- 2. Return meat to Dutch oven. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream. Serve with noodles or rice if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup stew, calculated without rice or noodles) equals 310 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 533 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Reviews for Curried Lamb Stew
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.