Curried Lamb and Barley Grain Recipe
- CURRIED LAMB AND BARLEY:
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- CUCUMBER SALSA:
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped seeded cucumber
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1. In a skillet, saute lamb, onion, barley and celery in oil until lamb is browned and barley is golden. Add broth and curry powder; bring to a boil. Pour into a 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until barley is tender.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the salsa ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve with lamb. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (4 ounces) equals 336 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 531 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 19 g protein.
Reviews for Curried Lamb and Barley Grain
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.