Curried Couscous Salad Recipe
From Heriot Bay, British Columbia, Lynn Gamache shares this delightful chilled salad. "It's great for picnics," she notes. "It can be prepared a day early and goes well with most main dishes. Add cooked shrimp or cheese cubes for a simple one-dish meal."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling YIELD:4 servings
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked couscous
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup diced cucumber
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. In a large bowl, combine the couscous, peas, cucumber, carrot, bacon, onions and parsley. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- 2. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the dressing ingredients; shake well. Just before serving, drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Yield: 4 servings.
3/4 cup equals 275 calories, 15 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 505 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC