Curried Chicken with Apples Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the apples, water and seasonings.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomatoes, jalapeno and cilantro; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without rice) equals 272 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 779 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.