Curried Chicken with Apples Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet or wok, stir-fry chicken and onion in oil until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the apples, water and seasonings.
- 2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 12-15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink, stirring occasionally. Stir in the tomatoes, jalapeno and cilantro; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups (calculated without rice) equals 272 calories, 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 779 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Reviews for Curried Chicken with Apples
"I thought this recipe was just okay. My husband thought it was good. Not sure I will make again. I made again but substituted curry for the spices. Liked much more"
"How odd. We LOVED it! It had tons of flavor, and tasted like authentic Indian curry. Maybe you didn't add enough jalepenos or something? We'll definitely make this again."
"This was terrible! It had no flavor. The apples did not go well with this dish."
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.