Curried Chicken Soup Recipe
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 3/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the curry, salt, pepper and cayenne. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- 2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the chicken, carrots, red pepper and onion in oil for 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until chicken is browned and vegetables are tender; drain.
- 3. Stir in the garbanzo beans, broth, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in coconut milk; heat through. Garnish servings with cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/4 cups: 270 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 555mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 16g protein.
Reviews for Curried Chicken Soup
"Outstanding! My husband demanded it again two days later. It's also great with leftover turkey in place of the chicken."
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.