Curried Chicken Soup Recipe
My German mother would occasionally cook dishes that were not traditional German recipes. One of my favorites was her Curry Chicken Soup. I've added my own touches to it, such as the chickpeas, coconut milk and fresh cilantro.Deanna Hindenach, Paw Paw, Michigan
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) coconut milk
- 3/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the curry, salt, pepper and cayenne. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook the chicken, carrots, red pepper and onion in oil for 4 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1-2 minutes longer or until chicken is browned and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the garbanzo beans, broth, tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Stir in coconut milk; heat through. Garnish servings with cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Curried Chicken Soup in Heartwarming Soups 2012 2012, p58
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Curried Chicken Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review