Curried Chicken Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Use leftover mashed potatoes to crown this comforting casserole. The creamy chicken-and-veggie mixture is mildly seasoned with curry to please almost any palate. —Lori Lockrey, Scarborough, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. YIELD:4 servings
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in 1 tablespoon butter until tender. Add frozen vegetables and remaining butter; cook 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Stir in flour and curry powder until blended; gradually add broth and milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add the chicken, parsley, salt and pepper.
- 3. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Top with potatoes; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
1-1/2 cups equals 410 calories, 19 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 99 mg cholesterol, 1,025 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 27 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC