Curried Chicken Rice Soup
"This is a terrific way to use up leftover chicken and cooked rice," remarks Judie Anglen of Riverton, Wyoming. "With its mild curry flavor and colorful chunks of carrot and celery, the thick mixture draws rave reviews every time I fix it."
10-12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 3 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 to 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 cups cooked long grain rice
- In a large saucepan, saute carrots, celery and onion in butter for 2
- minutes. Stir in flour, seasoned salt and curry until smooth.
- Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened.
- Gradually add broth. Stir in chicken and rice. Return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until vegetables
- are tender. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 257 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 610 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 11 g protein.