Curried Chicken Corn Chowder Recipe
“This recipe is close to one my mom used to make for us kids when the weather turned cold. Hers called for heavy cream, but I came up with a slimmer version that I think is pretty true to the original!” Kendra Doss - Smithville, Missouri
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:9 servings
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 5 cups frozen corn
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onions and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, corn, curry, salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth. Whisk into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add chicken and cilantro; heat through. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1 cup equals 221 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 40 mg cholesterol, 517 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC