- 5-1/3 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked medium pearl barley
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 3/4 cup salted dry roasted peanuts
- 1 celery rib with leaves, finely chopped
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 7-1/2 teaspoons orange marmalade
- 1-1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- In a large saucepan, bring water and barley to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and cool. Place 1 in. of water in another saucepan; add peas and carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the barley, peas and carrots, chicken, peanuts, celery and green onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour over barley mixture; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Yield: 5-7 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Curried Chicken Barley Salad
"My family loves this salad! I did put extra curry powder and spicy brown mustard. I used Quacker 10 minute barley. And I used cashews instead of peanuts. And I used 3 ribs of celery."
"I am not usually a fan of chicken salad but I thought that this one sounded good because of the peanuts and curry powder. Unfortunately I thought it was a little bland."