Curried Carrot Soup
Curry, ginger and garlic are the savory seasonings in Thom Armentrout's soup. "I serve it piping hot," he notes from Fredericksburg, Virginia.
8 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 pounds carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dill weed
- Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter. Stir in curry
- and ginger. Add carrots and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Transfer to a blender; cover and process soup mixture in batches
- until smooth. Return to the saucepan. Add the cream, water, dill and
- pepper. Cook until heated through (do not boil). Yield: 8 servings
- (2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: One 1-cup serving (prepared with reduced-sodium chicken broth and fat-free half-and-half) equals 109 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 371 mg sodium,