Curried Carrot Soup
This pretty pureed soup is perfect for a luncheon. It has wonderful flavor sparked by curry, herbs and, of course, the colorful carrots.
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 4 medium carrots, grated (about 1-3/4 cups)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 5 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash cayenne pepper, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil. Stir in the broth, carrots,
- curry, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Discard bay leaf. Cool slightly. Transfer half of the soup to a
- blender; add half of the cream cheese.
- Cover and process until smooth; repeat with remaining soup and cream
- cheese. Return all to the pan. Heat through. Stir in the parsley,
- salt and cayenne if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/4 cups equals 158 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 23 mg cholesterol, 1,432 mg sodium,