Curried Brown Rice Salad
Whenever she needs a potluck salad, Carol Dodds turns to this tried-and-true favorite. "It's among my most requested recipeseveryone raves about it," she writes from Aurora, Ontario. "Folks love the crunch from the chopped apple and toasted almonds. And I love that I can cook the rice ahead...then it's just a few simple steps to complete it later."
9 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, cooled
- 1 cup chopped tart apple
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, combine the rice, apple, raisins, onion and almonds.
- In another bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Pour over rice
- mixture and stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before
- serving. Yield: 6 cups.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 205 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.