Curried Beef with Rice Recipe
This time-tested recipe is a natural outgrowth of raising our own beef and cooking for family of mostly men who love meat and gravy.
- 1-1/3 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons uncooked wild rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Optional toppings: toasted slivered almonds, minced fresh parsley, sliced green onions, chopped sweet red pepper and/or golden raisins
- 1. In a saucepan, combine 2/3 cup water and wild rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add the long grain rice, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining water; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes longer.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, curry powder, pepper and remaining salt until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with toppings if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
1 cup: 688 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 1379mg sodium, 87g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 3g fiber), 37g protein
Reviews for Curried Beef with Rice
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC