- 1-1/3 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons uncooked wild rice
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 pound ground beef
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Optional toppings: toasted slivered almonds, minced fresh parsley, sliced green onions, chopped sweet red pepper and/or golden raisins
- In a saucepan, combine 2/3 cup water and wild rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes. Add the long grain rice, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining water; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes longer. Remove from heat; let stand for 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the flour, curry powder, pepper and remaining salt until blended. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve over rice. Sprinkle with toppings if desired. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Curried Beef with Rice in Cooking for One or Two Cookbook 2003, p146
Reviews for Curried Beef with Rice(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review