Curried Beef with Dumplings Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup hot water
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- In a Dutch oven, brown roast in oil on all sides; drain. Combine the carrots, tomatoes, onion, curry powder, sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and Worcestershire sauce; pour over roast. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for 2-1/2 hours or until meat and carrots are tender.
- Remove roast and carrots; keep warm. Add hot water to pan; bring to a boil. For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder and remaining salt in a large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the milk, parsley and pimientos just until moistened.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls onto simmering liquid. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Remove dumplings. Strain cooking juices; serve with roast, dumplings and carrots. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Curried Beef with Dumplings(1)
Sort By :
Very good. Had some real tang, and was quite tender. I like a little more juice with my roast and the dumplings soaked it all up, so I may make dumplings in beef broth and just add them when serving next time.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Dumplings Side Dish Recipes >
- German Dinner Recipes >
- German Recipes >
- German Side Dishes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >