Beans are perfect for a budget meal. This cool, tangy salad is a hit when our six children and nine grandchildren come to eat.—Veta Chapman, St. Clair, Michigan
Recommended: 39 Quick Vegetarian Meals for Winter Weeknights
- 1 pound dried great northern beans
- 4 green onions with tops, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider or white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and discard liquid. Return beans to pan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until beans are tender. Drain and discard liquid. Place beans in a large bowl; add onions, carrots and radishes. In another bowl, whisk dressing ingredients. Pour over bean mixture and toss gently. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. Yield: 10-12 servings.
Originally published as Curried Bean Salad in Taste of Home February/March 1999, p45
Reviews for Curried Bean Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 8, 2015
"I cheated a little...I used a combination of canned great northern and garbanzo beans. But this was great!"