The sweet taste of orange marmalade tops off this nicely seasoned chicken and barley dish.—National Barley Foods Council, Mary Sullivan, Spokane, Washington
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons orange marmalade
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, peppers and garlic in oil until crisp-tender. Stir in apple and curry; cook 1-2 minutes. Add broth and barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Arrange chicken on barley mixture; sprinkle with garlic salt. Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover; brush with the marmalade. Bake, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and barley is tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Curried Barley Chicken in Country Woman July/August 1999, p41
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Curried Barley Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review