Curried Acorn Squash Soup Recipe
- 3 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 to 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- 1. Place squash, cut side down, in a greased shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until the squash is almost tender.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion and curry powder in butter until onion is tender. Remove from the heat; set aside. Carefully scoop out squash; add pulp to saucepan. Gradually add broth. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until squash is very tender. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a food processor, process the squash mixture until smooth; return to saucepan. Stir in the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with bacon if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 196 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 531 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Curried Acorn Squash Soup
"What an outstanding recipe! I didn't have any half-and-half on hand, so I substituted coconut/almond milk. I also reduced the amount of curry to suit our tastes. I'll definitely be making this recipe again!"
"Christmas dinner starter - was a hit"
"This was really good, however I did reduce the curry powder in half and that was plenty of flavor for us"
"This was really good! My gluten-free husband also loved it. I, however, was able to eat it with some nice crusty bread! Lucky me! This is definitely a keeper recipe for us."
"Really good thick, rich and creamy. We added a large pinch of crushed red chilli and Pancetta and they worked well."
"I am a squash lover, so I love this recipe. This is smooth and creamy, but very filling. I added an extra cup of chicken broth and half-and-half. Delicious."
"This was easy and very yummy. I added a couple of Thai chili peppers for an extra kick."
"This was easy to make and best of all it was DELICIOUS!"