Curried Acorn Squash Soup Recipe
This is an easy soup to make and it keeps well. I came up with this recipe as a change of pace from baked squash. The curry powder gives it a unique taste.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. Cook: 20 min. YIELD:4-6 servings
- 3 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 to 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
- 1. Place squash, cut side down, in a greased shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until the squash is almost tender.
- 2. In a large saucepan, saute onion and curry powder in butter until onion is tender. Remove from the heat; set aside. Carefully scoop out squash; add pulp to saucepan. Gradually add broth. Cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until squash is very tender. Cool slightly.
- 3. In a food processor, process the squash mixture until smooth; return to saucepan. Stir in the cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until heated through (do not boil). Garnish with bacon if desired. Yield: 4-6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 196 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 531 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC