Currant Tea Bread Recipe
This rich and flavorful bread is a favorite old-time recipe. Because it keeps well and goes great with coffee or tea, I like to have an extra loaf on hand for gifts or for friends who come to call over the holidays.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dried currants
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the milk and lemon peel. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in currants.
- Transfer to a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Currant Tea Bread in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2004, p19
Reviews for Currant Tea Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review