Currant Scone Mix Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups dried currants or raisins
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, milk powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add currants. Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for up to 6 months. Yield: 2 batches (6 cups total).
- 2. To prepare scones: In a large bowl, combine 3 cups mix, egg and water until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead 5-6 times. Transfer to a greased baking sheet and pat into a 9-in. circle. Cut into eight wedges (do not separate). Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones per batch.
1 serving (1 each) equals 281 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Currant Scone Mix
"I used raisins when I made this. The raisins are the star of the show. There is a nice hint of cinnamon in each bite. This is a simple, old-fashioned tasting treat. The next batch I make I'm going to use chocolate chips instead of currants or raisins."