Currant Jelly Scones Recipe
These golden goodies dotted with festive red jelly are rich, light-textured and delicious. Plus, they're quick and easy to prepareno kneading is required.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 teaspoons currant jelly
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine the egg, cream and orange peel. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- On a greased baking sheet, pat dough into an 8-in. circle; cut into eight wedges. Do not separate wedges. Make a thumbprint in each wedge, about 1/4 in. deep. Fill indentation with jelly. Bake at 400° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Currant Jelly Scones in Country Woman November/December 2003, p51
Reviews for Currant Jelly Scones(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review