Curly Noodle Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth, divided
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 6 ounces uncooked tricolor spiral pasta
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the chicken, onion, celery, carrots and garlic in butter and oil for 5 minutes. Stir in the basil, oregano and pepper until blended.
- 2. Set aside 1 cup broth. Gradually add remaining broth to the pan. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes.
- 3. Return to a boil; stir in the pasta. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-13 minutes or until pasta is almost tender. Combine flour and reserved broth until smooth. Stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 9 servings (about 2 quarts).
One serving (1 cup) equals 193 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 652 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat, 1 fat.