Cupid's Chocolate Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 cups buttercream frosting of your choice
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Beat in confectioners' sugar and remaining vanilla.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the filling. Repeat. Place top layer on cake; frost top and sides of cake with buttercream frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Cupid's Chocolate Cake
Sort By :
"Have made this cake about 6 times. Love the contrast of the dark, moist chocolate cake with the whipped cream filling and butter cream frosting. It's a new family favorite."
"This is the best layer cake going! Instead of buttercream frosting I used a soft whipped chocolate frosting with light cream and butter; it was the right touch! My family talks about it days later after it has been gone!"
"I've made this over and over again. It is the best chocolate cake ever and successful everytime. We affectionately call it the "Butter Cake." I always use the frosting that goes with Taste of Home's recipe Easy Red Velvet Cake. It's a delicious combination."
"Have made 4 times. Is now our family's favorite chocolate cake. Dark and moist. What more is there to say?"
"Maybe it is b/c I made this as a sheet cake and omitted the filling, but it was not that great, it was not that chocolatey."