- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 5 teaspoons cold water
- 1-1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Red and yellow food coloring
- Prepare and bake cake mix according to package directions for cupcakes. Cool on wire racks.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatin over water; let stand for 1 minute to soften. Heat over low heat, stirring until gelatin is completely dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool just to room temperature.
- In a large bowl, beat cream and gelatin mixture until it begins to thicken. Add sugar and vanilla; beat until soft peaks form. Set aside 1 cup for decorating.
- Spread remaining frosting over tops of cupcakes. Divide reserved frosting in half; tint one portion pink and the other yellow.
- Use a toothpick to outline shape of heart, flower or sunburst on tops of cupcakes. Use medium star tip to pipe pink or yellow stars along outline. Fill in shape with piped stars as desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Frosting
Sort By :
The gelatin gummed up and did not mix with the heavy cream....had to strain and remove the gelatin. Very disappointed!
Gelatin formed shooter marble size balls which were flung out of the bowl by the mixer. Bummer.
This recipe worked perfectly for me! Thanks for posting!
We took this recipe back into the Test Kitchen to address any issues. The directions will be updated soon to help provide the best results. This is a nice frosting with the flavor and consistency of whipped cream with the addition of gelatin to give the frosting added stability. For best results, be sure the whipping cream is well chilled and also place your beaters and mixing bowl in the refrigerator for about half an hour before starting the recipe.
I tried this receipe with no success. The icing was thin while the geletin clumped up.