Cupcake Christmas Tree
Heather McKinley of Mechanic Falls, Maine shared this minty twist on typical cupcakes, then our Test Kitchen arranged them in a tree shape for a pretty presentation. The star on the top of the tree and cute packages tucked beneath are a snap to make with colorful candies.
24 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups mint chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2-2/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon green paste food coloring
- Candy-coated milk chocolate miniature kisses
- 2 chocolate stars
- 12 Starburst candies
- Prepare cake batter mix according to package directions for cupcakes;
- fold in chips. Fill foil-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 18-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar
- until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and extracts until blended.
- Transfer 2 tablespoons to a small bowl; stir in cocoa. Stir green
- food coloring into remaining frosting.