Cumin Rice with Avocado Recipe
Cumin, picante sauce and avocado do a terrific job of jazzing up rice in this versatile side dish.—Margaret Wagner Allen, Abingdon, Virginia
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/3 cup picante sauce
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the water, butter, bouillon and cumin; bring to a boil. Stir in rice; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 2. Stir in picante sauce; heat through. Stir in avocado and green onions. Yield: 6 servings.
2/3 cup equals 191 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 187 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC