Cukes and Carrots
Carrots and green peppers bring extra color and crunch to this refreshing cucumber salad from Karla Hecht, Plymouth, Minnesota. The sweet dressing she creates is an ideal match for the crisp summer produce.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 5 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canning salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, carrots, onion and green pepper.
- Sprinkle with salt; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Combine sugar and vinegar. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Cover
- and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Yield: 12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 131 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 401 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.