- 5 medium cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canning salt
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine cucumbers, carrots, onion and green pepper. Sprinkle with salt; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours. Combine sugar and vinegar. Pour over vegetables; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Cukes and Carrots
"This was a big hit at the company picnic today. Even I enjoyed it and I'm not a big vinegar fan. The sugar makes this very pleasant."
"A longtime favorite at our house! Crisp, sweet yet tart - a wonderful light salad for any meal. Versatile too, I often make a simplified version with just cucumbers and onions or add in other veggies. This recipe is often requested and has never disappointed!"
"Have made this recipe dozens of times over the years - always a family favorite especially in the summer."
"I first saw this in quick Cooking in July/Aug 2001 and have been making it ever since. It is a favorite. I make a big batch and keep it in the refrig. and use it for snacking. I'll have to try the Splenda to make it even more diet friendly."
"Delicious and sweet! Since I only made this for my parents and me, I downsized to two cucumbers and two carrots. Instead of thinly slicing the carrots, I grated them to have carrot shavings. The next time I try this out, I'll be sure to replace sugar with Splenda to make it diabetic-friendly."
"Loved this when it came out in a "special edition" from Taste of Home and it has become a regular hit when cukes are growing like weeds in the summertime. I just got some PURPLE carrots from the farmers market so this is going to be FUN. I have successfully substituted Splenda (measures like sugar version) for the Sugar and it now works for the diabetics in the family too."