I'm Greek and my husband's Sicilian, so we use plenty of garlic in our cooking. We typically serve this traditional Tzatziki with lamb and chicken.
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 4 cups (32 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Line a fine mesh strainer with two layers of cheesecloth. Place
- yogurt in strainer over a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least
- four hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard liquid in bowl; set yogurt aside. Place cucumber in
- a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 15
- minutes; discard liquid.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil and vinegar until blended. Stir in the
- garlic, yogurt and cucumber. Yield: About 2-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 113 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 163 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.