I'm Greek and my husband's Sicilian, so we use plenty of garlic in our cooking. We typically serve this traditional Tzatziki with lamb and chicken.
- 4 cups (32 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Line a fine mesh strainer with two layers of cheesecloth. Place yogurt in strainer over a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least four hours or overnight.
- Drain and discard liquid in bowl; set yogurt aside. Place cucumber in a colander over a plate; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 15 minutes; discard liquid.
- In a small bowl, whisk oil and vinegar until blended. Stir in the garlic, yogurt and cucumber. Yield: About 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Cucumber Sauce in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2003, p223
Reviews for Cucumber Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 12, 2009
"Great sauce for falafel. I cut the recipe in 1/2 because I didn't need so much sauce. I still used the full cucumber and cut the rest of the ingredients in half. Turned out great!"