Cucumber Pan Rolls Recipe
"When I have plenty of garden-fresh cucumbers, I bake up these delicately flavored rolls often," reports Dorothy Showalter of Broadway, Virginia.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 30 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
- 1. Place cucumber in a blender, cover and process until smooth. Place 3/4 cup of puree in a saucepan (discard remaining puree or save for another use). Add the sour cream, water, sugar and salt to pan; heat to 120°-130° (mixture will appear separated).
- 2. In a large bowl, combine 1-1/4 cups flour, yeast, chives and dill; add cucumber mixture. Beat on low speed just until moistened; beat on high for 3 minutes. Add enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- 3. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 4. Punch dough down; let rest 10 minutes. Shape into 12 balls; place in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
One serving equals 143 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 200 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC