- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 envelope mushroom gravy mix
- 1 envelope onion gravy mix
- Hot mashed potatoes or cooked noodles
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add steaks, a few at a time, and shake until completely coated.
- In a skillet, cook steaks in oil until lightly browned on each side. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the onion and 2 cups water. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a bowl, whisk together gravy mixes with remaining water. Add to slow cooker; cook 30 minutes longer. Serve over mashed potatoes or noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Cubed Steaks with Gravy
"Wow!! Great way to make this meat tender. I could not find mushroom gravy or onion gravy. I used three packets of brown gravy, but bought fresh mushrooms, and cooked them on the stove, then added them when I added the gravy mix. One thing--I did season meat and the flour mixture with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and some beef seasoning. I also diced up some red bell pepper and some celery that needed to be used up. We gobbled this up!!! Made a ton of extra gravy, so I froze the remaining gravy and will use for another meal."
"Made this tonight after not making cube steaks in years ..I won't make that mistake again Keeping this on hand for easy and delicious family magicBrilliant thanks for posting it!"
"This is quick and very easy to prepare. Fills the whole house with a wonderful aroma while cooking and tastes delicious."
"I'm going to try this tonight with a few modifications. Instead of gravy, I'll use a non-gmo Indian sauce for flavor. My slow cooker cooks faster than I'd like, so I'm thinking it won't take 8 hours. Mashed potatoes, green salad, and acorn squash."
"Sounds delish! But I dont have a slow cooker. Can I make this in the oven? How long?"