Cubed Steaks with Gravy
Before I tried this recipe, my family did not like this particular cut of beef because it was chewy. But these cubed steaks, slow-cooked until they're nice and tender, are now one of our favorites.—Judy Long, Limestone, Tennessee
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 beef cubed steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 envelope mushroom gravy mix
- 1 envelope onion gravy mix
- Hot mashed potatoes or cooked noodles
- Place flour in a large resealable plastic bag. Add steaks, a few at a
- time, and shake until completely coated.
- In a skillet, cook steaks in oil until lightly browned on each side.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Add the onion and 2 cups water.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a bowl, whisk together gravy mixes with remaining water. Add to
- slow cooker; cook 30 minutes longer. Serve over mashed potatoes or
- noodles. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 245 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 850 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 29 g protein.