Cubed Beef and Barley Soup Recipe
Here's a stick to your ribs type of soup. I've also used a chuck roast, rump roast and London broil that's been cut into bite-size pieces with tremendous sucess.—Jane McMillan, Dania Beach, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 8-1/2 hours YIELD:8 servings
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 carton (32 ounces) beef broth
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup medium pearl barley
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil; drain. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker.
- 2. Add the broth, beer, onion, barley, garlic, oregano, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, pepper flakes, pepper, salt and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- 3. Stir in vegetables; cover and cook 30 minutes longer or until meat is tender and vegetables are heated through. Discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 233 calories, 8 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 644 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC